Saturday, January 12, 2008

Welcome!

This blog is a revival of one that I tried to maintain (unsuccessfully) when I taught The Art of Criticism in the fall of 2005. I will use this space to comment on my reading and listening and to post links to interesting readings online.

I'll begin with a deftly written piece pointed out to me by Mr. Preston from Friday's New York Times that you can find here. (You may have to register with the Times web site to view the piece.) I am not familiar with the writer, but I hope to read more of his work soon. In the print edition of the newspaper, a little box labeled the piece a "Facilities Review," which hinted at the author's wry take on his subject. The "review" captures the absurd duality of writing about a public toilet (low brow) in the New York Times (high brow). If you read it, post a comment and let me know what you think.

Enjoy!

No comments: